Current:Home > ScamsNevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case -Visionary Wealth Guides
Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
Poinbank Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 00:09:01
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A slate of six Nevada Republicans have again been charged with submitting a bogus certificate to Congressthat declared Donald Trump the winner of the presidential battleground’s 2020 election.
Nevada Attorney General Aaron Ford announced Thursday that the state’s fake electors casehad been revived in Carson City, the capital, where he filed a new complaint this week charging the defendants with “uttering a forged instrument,” a felony. The original indictment was dismissed earlier this yearafter a state judge ruled that Clark County, the state’s most populous county and home to Las Vegas, was the wrong venue for the case.
Ford, a Democrat, said the new case was filed as a precaution to avoid the statute of limitations expiring while the Nevada Supreme Court weighs his appeal of the judge’s ruling.
“While we disagree with the finding of improper venue and will continue to seek to overturn it, we are preserving our legal rights in order to ensure that these fake electors do not escape justice,” Ford said. “The actions the fake electors undertook in 2020 violated Nevada criminal law and were direct attempts to both sow doubt in our democracy and undermine the results of a free and fair election. Justice requires that these actions not go unpunished.”
Officials have said it was part of a larger scheme across seven battleground states to keep Trump in the White House after losing to Democrat Joe Biden. Criminal cases have also been brought in Michigan, Georgiaand Arizona.
Trump lost in 2020to Biden by more than 30,000 votes in Nevada. An investigation by then-Nevada Secretary of State Barbara Cegavske, a Republican, found no credible evidence of widespread voter fraud in the state.
The defendants are state GOP chair Michael McDonald; Clark County GOP chair Jesse Law; national party committee member Jim DeGraffenreid; national and Douglas County committee member Shawn Meehan; Storey County clerk Jim Hindle; and Eileen Rice, a party member from the Lake Tahoe area.
In an emailed statement to The Associated Press, McDonald’s attorney, Richard Wright, called the new complaint a political move by a Democratic state attorney general who also announced Thursday he plans to run for governor in 2026.
“We will withhold further comment and address the issues in court,” said Wright, who has spoken often in court on behalf of all six defendants.
Attorneys for the others did not immediately respond to emails seeking comment.
Their lawyers previously argued that Ford improperly brought the case before a grand jury in Democratic-leaning Las Vegas instead of in a northern Nevada city, where the alleged crimes occurred.
___
Associated Press writer Ken Ritter in Las Vegas contributed to this report.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (9)
Related
- EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
- Ex-Yahoo CEO Marissa Mayer discusses the current tech scene from vantage point of her AI startup
- Kentucky, Connecticut headline winners and losers from men's college basketball weekend
- NASCAR teams tell AP they’ve hired top antitrust lawyer on eve of Daytona 500
- Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
- Gun that wounded Pennsylvania officer was used in earlier drive-by shooting, official says
- Two women killed in fire at senior housing complex on Long Island
- Sarah Michelle Gellar Gives Rare Insight into Life With Freddie Prinze Jr. and Kids
- The city of Chicago is ordered to pay nearly $80M for a police chase that killed a 10
- See America Ferrera, Megan Fox, Jeremy Renner, more exclusive People's Choice Awards photos
Ranking
- Where will Elmo go? HBO moves away from 'Sesame Street'
- NBA MVP rankings: With Joel Embiid out of running there are multiple deserving candidates
- Vermont governor seeks disaster declaration for December flooding
- 'Coke with a twist': What is Coca-Cola Spiced and when can you try it?
- Could Bill Belichick, Robert Kraft reunite? Maybe in Pro Football Hall of Fame's 2026 class
- Can kidney dialysis be done at home? We can make treatment more accessible, so why aren't we?
- Body of New Hampshire Marine killed in helicopter crash comes home
- Can Lionel Messi and Inter Miami be MLS Cup champions? 2024 MLS season preview
Recommendation
Kylie Jenner Shows Off Sweet Notes From Nieces Dream Kardashian & Chicago West
White House is distributing $5.8 billion from the infrastructure law for water projects
Teams combine for three hat tricks in Wild's record-filled 10-7 victory over Canucks
Selena Gomez Strips Down for Bathtub Photo During Paris Getaway
Could Bill Belichick, Robert Kraft reunite? Maybe in Pro Football Hall of Fame's 2026 class
Ukrainians' fight for survival entering its third year
Australian showjumper Shane Rose avoids punishment for competing in g-string 'mankini'
Did your iPhone get wet? Apple updates guidance to advise against putting it in rice